As a teacher, planning is a big part of what I do. I guess with all the practice I've had at it over the years, I must be pretty good at it. As a computer geek, I can pretty efficiently get on, say, a Best Western website and come up with a motel reservation pretty lickety-split. With no flights or trains to book, and no over-night stopovers, you'd think this would be a snap to plan. You know, not much more than "get in car, push gas, go, stay in hotel, lather, rinse, repeat."
Well.... no. First, most of the accommodations out East either have very simple websites, or no website at all. Not only do almost none of them allow you to make bookings on line in real time, many of them don't even post their rates. Lots of web-surfing, reading reviews on TripAdvisor, phone calls, calls back, emails, emails back, etc. With 17 different accommodation locations booked, you can imagine how many hours that would involve.
Anyways, it was probably about 60 hours of planning all told. (not like a few mouse-clicks where you can book your all-inclusive Caribbean Cruise through TravelConglomerate.com).
That's okay. It will be worth it. We're all pretty pumped. The house-sitter is arranged so there will be someone here to look after the house, the gardens, and the dogs. Accommodations are booked. Ferries are booked. The calendar is cleared, the fridge is cleaned, the yard is mostly in shape, walking shoes have been purchased... Now we just need to finish getting the house in order, get ourselves packed, finish the last few days of school, and we're outta here.
We'll be posting pictures, text, and probably even some video of our adventures. Stay tuned!
yey!
ReplyDeletelooking forward to following all of you on your wonderful adventure!!!!
:-)
Your trip sounds so exciting - can't wait to keep up with you on your travels - will be watching................
ReplyDelete