We liked the little place in L'Islet so much that we decided to book it for the way back home. We departed at 6:00 am, and estimated arriving at our place here at the Chimera Farms Bed and Breakfast near the Bay of Fundy somewhere around 2:00 pm. Between going to bed later than we should have last night and only getting about 5.5 hrs sleep the night before, and the time zone change to Atlantic Time, and maybe a couple of extra stops along the way, and we arrived here a little after 5:00 pm. We were exhausted.
One of our diversions along the way was to see the world's longest covered bridge in a place called Heartland, NB. We had lunch there and of course, took some pictures.
Just outside of Moncton, we saw the signs for Magnetic Hill. We *had* to check that out, and we did it going forward and in reverse. We got a video of a bus going up the hill too. Neat! Apparently, there is another magnetic hill in Canada.... in Burlington. We'll have to check that out when we get back.
We also saw lots of evidence of low tide. The so-called "Chocolate River" looked like it was made of milk chocolate. There was SO much sediment in it and the water level was so low. The flood plains on either side of the river, and the mud-flats that you could see all over really gave you a sense of how much different things were when the tide was high.
Once in Hopewell Cape, we were eagerly greeted by our hostess, Maggie, who took us over to the chalet, which has two bedrooms, a full kitchen and a hot tub. After a bit of an orientation, we set a time for breakfast the next morning and set out to enjoy the area a bit. It was getting cool, and the mosquitoes were getting quite bad. We figured we'd pass on the hike and the hot tub until tomorrow, and made some pasta for dinner with some ingredients we picked up at one of our pit stops along the way. Just for kicks, I circled back on the roadway and hit a place with a sign we had spotted on the way in - "Lobster. $7.99/lb - cooked." I got a pound of cooked lobster, and took it back to add to our pasta sauce. Because we could. Haha. Eme wasn't a fan of the lobster, but the rest of us enjoyed it enough.
The chalet is quite nice, despite a few niggles. The internet is spotty here at best. As I type this, I'm on a bit of a dodgy wifi connection that comes from somewhere I'm not even sure I'm supposed to be on. Most of the rest of the area doesn't even have reliable cell phone service. The chalet has a bit of a musty smell to it, but it's quite nice otherwise. I attribute it to the fact that it is built on a concrete pad that sits right on the dirt, with no basement. It's very comfortable, though, and well-equipped, and Maggie is treating us very well.
There is a TV, so the kids have discovered Honey Boo Boo, Toddlers in Tiaras, and Duck Dynasty. I have to admit, I kind of enjoyed Duck Dynasty. The other two were pretty much everything I imagined they would be, based on what little I knew of them. Yikes. At least the kids recognized them for what they were. It struck me as funny that they were in watching that, while I read my Chris Hedges e-book I signed out from the library in the other room, but in other ways, a whole world away.
Pics here.
y'all needed some 'catch-up' sleeptime!
ReplyDelete2p.m or 5p. scheduling... who cares! you're on vacation! with things to do & see along the way! :-)
Yum! have as much lobster as you can while there!... because 'you Can! whoo hoo!