Thursday, July 4, 2013

Day 5 - Fundy, Fundy

We got a much needed and fantastic night's sleep and made it to our breakfast appointment at 8:00 am.  Maggie had made us French toast with icing sugar, fresh berries, maple syrup, and ice cream, with a slice of ham, some melon, coffee and juice.  Awesome!  It was cool and foggy when we got up, but by the time we hit the road, the fog was starting to burn off and it was getting a little warmer.

The Bay of Fundy is known for its tides, and the Hopewell Rocks are probably the best place to see the difference between high tide and low tide.  At 10:00 am, we went to the Hopewell Rocks to see high tide, and the view was really quite impressive.  By then, the weather was amazing.  We did some more sight-seeing at Hopewell, and then went for a drive to Cape Enrage.  The drive was a little less than an hour, through winding and hilly roads.  It was all very scenic, and included another covered bridge.  Cape Enrage, we were told by the tour guide, had fallen into a state of disrepair in the 1980's after the lighthouse was automated, and became a spot for partiers and vandals.  A local teacher took it upon himself to mobilize some of his students, with the reward of learning rappelling and rock climbing in exchange for cleaning up the area.  It is now a very well maintained park that is run entirely as a non-profit by private individuals and volunteers, and includes a zip line, rappelling, and a full-service restaurant.  The views were quite spectacular.  On a clear day (which today only sort of was), you can see right across the Bay of Fundy to Nova Scotia.  There was also a beach down below at the bottom called "Fossil Beach."  We looked for fossils (didn't really find any though), and took in the sights and headed back out to a town called Alma.  There wasn't much going on there, but I had a lobster roll, and everyone else had an ice cream.  We saw some fishing boats and headed back to the chalet.  I had a bit of a nap, and we all went in the hot-tub for a bit.

We then headed back to the Hopewell Rocks in time for low tide.  Wow!  We got some great pics.  There is a campaign to have the Rocks listed as the eighth wonder of the natural world, and you can certainly see why.  Where, six hours ago, was underneath a few meters of water, you could now walk on, around, and under.  We got some great pics!

Maggie recommended to us a restaurant nearby called the Broadleaf Guest Ranch that we went to, which served up a mean plate of nachos, freshly-baked rolls, and a great fish-and-chip platter.  I had the lobster-encrusted halibut.  Yum!

After dinner, we came back to the chalet.  The kids are watching TV, Jacqui is knitting, and I'm catching up on our blog.  We're going to go back into the hot tub in a bit and call it a night.

Pics here!

2 comments:

  1. Bay of Fundy & Hopewell Rocks are incredible!! I'm so glad I got an opportunity to see them, also!
    They Should be considered the eighth Wonder of the world!

    I'm glad to hear the day was excellent, including the weather, & everyone eating well! :-)

    huGs for now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I'm drooling over your breakfast! Maybe Maggie can make some French Toast for me, considering my mommy doesn't anymore! :(

    Hopewell Rocks sounds as amazing as it looks; can't wait until I can hopefully see for myself some day. In the meantime, I'll live vicariously through you (minus the Honey Boo Boo, and Toddler's in Tiaras, heehee!).

    Nice background on Cape Enrage! Did you get to do any of the zip lining and/or rappelling?

    I'll be thinking of your lobster-encrusted halibut while I'm lining the cookie sheet for my Captain Highliner Beer-Battered Fish & Chips tonight. Hope you're happy now; you've ruined me for the good Captain!!

    ReplyDelete